Stuhr Museum members receive priority registration beginning on March 4 at 10:00 a.m!
Not a member yet? Click here to join today!
Registration opens to the public on March 11 at 10:00 a.m.
2024 SUMMER ADVENTURES GENERAL INFORMATION AND POLICIES
Please read through this information completely, as some policies have been updated for summer 2024.
- Registration will open to Stuhr Museum members only on Monday, March 4 at 10:00 a.m.
- Registration will open to non-members on Monday, March 11 at 10:00 a.m.
- Registrations can be completed in two ways: via online registration (available 24/7) or by phone (available M-F, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. only)
- All registrations are completed on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Age categories must be observed. Exceptions may be made if your child’s birthdate falls within the same month as the class. Please note, we cannot accept any student younger than four years old unless their birthday falls within the same week of the class.
- The child registered for a class must be the same as the child that attends the class. If the child registered is unable to attend and you wish to substitute another child in their place, please contact the Stuhr Museum Education Department to change the registration. Mid-week substitutions are not allowed – once a child begins a class, that is the child that takes the class.
- Summer Adventures classes are designed for children in most cases, although a small number of classes will accept adult registrations. Parents, grandparents, or guardians are not permitted to attend Summer Adventures classes alongside their student unless they are also a paid registrant in the class.
- If your child has any food or environmental allergies or medical conditions that we need to be aware of, please fill out our liability waiver. This form must be filled out each year regardless of if your child has taken a class with us in the past. The form may be filled out online or you may request a paper form to fill out if you prefer. A link to the online form will be e-mailed with your registration receipt.
- Registration will close two weeks in advance of the class (i.e. registration for a class that begins on June 3 will close on May 20) Classes that do not meet minimum enrollment at that time will be cancelled. Students may be transferred to another class or a refund will be issued.
DISCOUNTS, PAYMENTS & CANCELLATIONS
- Stuhr Museum members receive a discount of $5 off per class registration. A discount code will be e-mailed to current members on March 1st. The code must be entered on the final page of registration where payment information is collected. Refunds will not be issued if the discount is not entered at checkout. If you are a member and do not receive the code in your e-mail, please be sure to check your spam folder, and if you still can’t find it, you can call or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be happy to give you the code once we’ve verified your membership status is current.
- The $5 discount is only for Stuhr Museum members. Please note, Hastings Museum members will no longer receive a discount under the reciprocal benefit agreement between the two museums updated in July of 2023.
- Payment must accompany registration to reserve a spot in a class. Online sales must be completed with a debit or credit card. If you wish to pay by cash or check, please call us to ensure a spot is available and then you must either bring payment to the museum or mail it to us within the specified time frame.
- If you register for a class and your child is unable to attend, we ask that you give us as much notice as possible in order to offer the spot to other children who may be wanting to take that class. You must call the education department to cancel and request a refund. The amount of your refund is based on when you cancel:
- Cancellation made 1 month prior to class = class price minus 10% will be refunded
- Cancellation made 3 weeks prior to class = class price minus 50% will be refunded
- Cancellation made 2 weeks or less prior to class = NO REFUND
- No refunds will be issued for days missed during a class.
BEHAVIOR, PERSONAL BELONGINGS & CELL PHONES
- Summer Adventures students will be expected to abide by basic behavior rules while attending classes. Examples include being respectful of other students and staff, following instructions, etc. Students will be expected to refrain from certain behaviors, such as hitting, kicking, fighting, name-calling, using profanity, etc.
- Stuhr Museum reserves the right to remove any disruptive child from a class. Parents will be notified and asked to pick up their child and discuss return for the remainder of the week. No refunds will be given if a child is removed from a class for inappropriate behavior.
- We encourage your child to bring a water bottle labeled with their name to aid in hydration. Filling stations will be available across the museum grounds. Please only send water – no pop, juice, etc.
- Cell phones and other technology must be kept put away during Summer Adventures classes. Technology use during classes is not only a distraction, but can be a health and safety issue as well. Students who refuse to follow these rules may be asked to sit out portions of the class for their safety and the safety of their classmates. The student’s parent or guardian will be notified of any technology-related issues.
- Please make sure your child is dressed appropriately for class. Some classes may have a specific dress code, which will be noted in the class description and in the reminder e-mail sent to you the week prior to the class. For example, students in the Blacksmithing class must wear long jeans and long sleeves with closed-toe shoes for their safety. Students that do not follow this dress code may not be able to participate in all activities.
- For classes without a specific dress code, we still recommend closed-toe shoes due to the outdoor nature of many classes. Students may encounter bugs and/or sunshine, so bug spray and sunscreen is recommended where appropriate.
DROP-OFF & PICK-UP
- Students may not be dropped off more than 15 minutes prior to class and must be picked up no more than 15 minutes after the end of class each day.
- A parking map will be provided to each vehicle on the first day of class. Your map serves as your pass into the museum each day for the duration of the class. Please SLOW DOWN and present your pass to the Gate House Attendant any time you enter the grounds. If more than one person will be dropping off or picking up your child, additional passes may be picked up at the Gate House at no charge.
- Please obey all stop signs, speed limits, and parking rules while dropping off or picking up your child.
- Please use the specified parking lot for drop-off and pick-up. Your child’s teacher or class helper will meet the students there each day and bring them back to that location at the end of the day. Please do not stop along the road to drop students off or to pick them up for the safety of your child and others.
ILLNESS, ABSENCES & INCLEMENT WEATHER
- If your child is unable to attend class due to a conflict, please notify your child’s teacher or contact the Stuhr Museum Education Department by phone at (308) 385-5316 to let us know of your child’s absence.
- If your child is sick, please contact the Stuhr Museum Education Department. Children must be free of fever for 24 hours prior to attending a Summer Adventures class.
- In the event of inclement weather, Stuhr Museum may choose to relocate or cancel classes for the safety of the students. Notifications will be made as early as possible whenever changes need to be made. If your child’s class is outdoors and it is raining, please stop at the Gate House to check where your child’s class has been relocated to.
SUMMER ADVENTURES 2024 T-SHIRTS
- Summer Adventures t-shirts must be pre-ordered by April 30. This year’s shirt can be seen below. Youth sizes will be $20, and adult sizes will be $22. T-shirt orders can be placed with your registration or made separately.
- A limited quantity of discounted shirts from previous years can be purchased in the Prairie Treasures Gift Shop in the Stuhr Building.